TOWN OF LAMAR JOBS
The Town of Lamar is looking to fill an immediate position in the Public Works department.
Public Works Laborer
Department: Public Works Department
Job Type: Full Time
Hours: Monday thru Friday , 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
*Hours may vary during summer months or on trash pickup days.
*Must be available on nights and weekends in the event of an emergency.
This position involves operating equipment and performing manual labor to participate in the completion of assigned projects. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Public Works Supervisor.
The following duties are normal for this job. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Follows the direction of the Public Works Supervisor with regards to the maintenance and oversight of the city’s roadways; this includes patching, spreading stone, building up gravel on the road shoulders, and reporting needed repairs needed to the Public Works Supervisor.
- Mows town right-of-way (s).
- Collects household waste, yard waste, tree limbs, and leaves and sees to their disposal.
- Check and maintain the Town’s water tanks, lift stations, and sewer pond.
- Read, connect, and disconnect water meters.
- Helps the Water Department repair cut or damaged water lines.
- Repairs and maintains Town Hall and Public Works buildings/yards.
- Maintains Public Works vehicles and equipment.
- Prefer High School Diploma or GED.
Knowledge, Skills, And Ability:
- Ability to understand, interpret, and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other city staff and the public.
- Ability to operate or willingness to learn how to operate such equipment as a backhoe, tractor, mowing equipment, garbage truck, chain saws, limb saw, and various hand tools as required.
- Ability to read maps.
Supervisory and Managerial Responsibility:
- Possession of valid State of SC driver’s license (Class C) preferred, but not required.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
- Physical Abilities: Tasks involve the ability to exert physical effort in moderate to intense work, typically involving some combination of stooping, kneeling, crouching, and crawling, and which may involve some lifting, shoveling, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling of objects and materials of moderate weight (up to 100 pounds). Most of a normal workday involves standing or walking.
- Environmental Factors: Tasks are regularly performed with exposure to adverse environmental conditions including, but not limited to, dirt, dust, pollen, odors, wetness, humidity, rain, temperature and noise extremes, and traffic hazards.
Compensation: Hourly rate.
For all interested applicants, please complete the Town of Lamar Employment Application found here and submit with a current resume.
Town of Lamar – Town Hall
Attention: Tim Dargan
PO Box 267
Lamar, SC 29069
Town of Lamar – Town Hall
117 Main Street
Tim Dargan, Town Administrator
All questions about the position, may be directed to the Town Administrator, Tim Dargan. You may reach him at Town Hall 843-326-5551 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org.